Contributors

Sunday, July 27, 2014

We are NOT Jehovah's Witness


IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A REASON FOR SOMEONE NOT TO TRY!

So we had interviews with President Mortensen this week and it was really crazy. (BTW he is great. Love him.)  He personally committed each missionary to strive as a companionship to invite 25 people everyday to learn about the gospel. Not just for that day, but EVERYDAY for the rest of our missions! I committed. But man, let me tell you, that is quite a feat. Sister Wessendorf and I were super intimidated. How are we going to do this... what about all the other things we need to do, appointments with less-actives, cleaning up the ward list! How do we do this but not neglect the other things we need to do?

The Lord was promising us heavenly help if we invited at least 25 people a day. So we decided to do it. Man... it was hard, and hot, and sweaty. Who is outside when it is 100% humidity and 100 degrees? No one. So we went to Wal-mart and talked to a bunch of people and invited them to learn more. This cute mom that said that her son is 8 and keeps saying, "Mom, have I been baptized...? What is baptism? Who is Jesus? Where did we come from?." The mom said that she has never gone to church and she didn't even know how to answer his questions! They just moved here so we are going to go over and teach their family! :) We hope that it goes through! We planted a lot of seeds, and found a few potential investigators. But let me tell you, it was super cool to see the Lord blessing us with confidence and power with the things that we were doing. 

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."
-D&C 82:10

  I think that is one of my favorite scriptures. OBEDIENCE!

25 people a day is hard. I think that I might get bikes with my next companion. It will be so much easier to talk to people! The Elders in our ward talk to a ton of people because they can just bike around and pull over and talk to people. But I fear that it won't be nearly as graceful to pull over to the side of the road while in a skirt.... It is just cool.  We need to invite ALL of Houston and if every single companionship invites 25 people a day and there are almost 125 companionships? Man... that is 3,125 people that are invited every single day JUST in our mission. OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND IT WILL BE FILLED!

J-DUBZZ= FRIENDLY COMPETITION

On Saturday Sister Wessendorf talked to 34 people and it was amazing. We had some AMAZING conversations with people and I felt SO good in overreaching our goal and really stretching. It is too bad we are so far away from the mission office because we are out of supplies! We only have like 3 Books of Mormon left because we have been giving them out like crazy! 

As we were walking down a street on Saturday this little girl came running out of her house and was like, "SISTERS! SISTERS!" She was about 8 or 9 and she was adorable. She was flagging us down, so we walked over to her and we asked her what ward she was in. Because no one EVER flags US down unless they are members. I mean if random people were to flag us down and beckon us into their homes, I wouldn't complain... just sayin' ;) haha but usually they are members haha. Anyway... we asked her what ward she was in and she got a really confused look on her face. Then she said, "You are Jehovah's Witness' right?..." When we told her we were sisters from a different church she got this really concerned look on her face and said she was going to go get her mom. Dorfy and I looked at each other and smiled. The mom came out and was nice, but was not interested at all. But we talked about how we respect them for all their efforts in missionary work, because we know what its like! So if you see some J-dubs walking around give them some ice cold water will ya? WWJD! :) 

FUNNY MOMENTS

1.) Church yesterday was so loud.  It was seriously like a zoo. I miss the singles ward because when you have an investigator there and you can't even hear the speaker... it is kind of a problem! I turned to Dorfy in the middle of the meeting and whispered, "I am never having children... I just decided."... I mean I WILL... but I wish people would get a hold of their kids.

2.) Last night had a really interesting conversation with one of our investigators. Her name is Sharon. It was my first time meeting her but we made her truffles and wanted to drop them off. We went inside and Sharon had to finish doing her hair so we just talked to her husband for like an hour. He is such a good guy! We were talking about some really deep stuff. He is not interested in reading the Book of Mormon or learning more but he doesn't really mind if his wife does. But he started talking about how weird it must have been to raise GOD'S SON. He is quite a character he said, " I mean how weird would that be to be teaching Jesus as a little kid... you are like 'and this brown stuff between your toes? That's dirt, son! And the green stuff up there in the trees? Those are leaves!' 
Jesus was pro'lly like, 'Yeah Dad.... I know... I coded all this stuff...'"

We laughed pretty hard. 

I mean I am sure that Christ never said anything like that but, it was just funny the way he said it haha. Oh man, we have had some funny discussions this week.

3.) One of my favorite couples in the ward was going to AZ to get sealed in the temple and so Dorfy and I volunteered to walk their dogs while they were gone (thinking it would be a good way to contact people.) Little did we know that the dogs would end up walking US. And we decided to walking them in the BLAZING heat. We had to like go back home and change out clothes after.. that is how sweaty we were haha. 

4.) I think my body is missing the cold. I had a dream that I went skiing with Uncle Collin last night. It was a pretty good dream. (HI Uncle Collin! *wave* see ya on the slopes!)

Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas this year is a ski pass *wink wink nudge nudge*

ADIEU 

On a spiritual note, after nightly planning each night Sister Wessendorf and I have been watching little segments of these really cool church history videos. Man, I am just so grateful for the early leaders of the church. And.... Brigham Young is probs our new favorite. Watch this video. It is so good. We cried. And when I say we I mean I because I cry enough for like 4 people.


church is true.

xoxoxox

-Sister King

Finished a lesson and found this little creature asleep on my bag. I wasn't even mad...big shocker I know :)

Being walked by the dogs in the blazing sun.

TRUFFLES FOR OUR INVESTIGATOR :) We made them and they are DANG GOOD.

AND THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment