Contributors

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"This work is about LOVE, not statistics" - Jeffery R. Holland


This quote has a lot of meaning to it. Especially in weeks like this one.

Looking back on the week, we didn't really have a whole lot of lessons. We didn't have any baptismal invitations, and despite our best efforts we weren't able to find any new people to teach. Looking at the numbers, I would say that we didn't have a very statistically successful week. And as a trainer I had to talk to Sister I about the fact that just because we didn't have very good numbers this week, doesn't mean that we didn't fulfill our purpose. I am fully aware that the Lord recognizes every effort that we put in. Every heartfelt text we send that doesn't get a response, every doorbell we ring that is blatantly ignored? He is standing by our side, hoping they will open to us. Because if they open to us, they open to Him. He sees our love for these people, as they don't heed to the message we have to share. Our steps off the unanswered door are ushered out with loud music and the flickering of an obscene movie. He sees our effort. He knows the work we do is HIS work. And he knows that as disciples of the the Lord, we are IN the world and not OF the world. 


FUNNY THINGS

-We were with a bunch of missionaries watching the 3rd session at the stake center and all the talks seemed to be all about the Prophet and the importance of listening to, and sustaining him NO MATTER WHAT.  After about the 3rd talk on the subject I turned to the Elders and whispered, "I have a feeling that the Prophet is going to announce something BIG. Fasten your seatbelts kiddos....I am scared!"

Elder Harris quickly replied saying, "Oh yeah dude... I think Monson is going to get up there and he is gunna tell is it's about time to pack up and hear to Missouri. It's fine.... we've got the mini van." I laughed SO hard. 

-Belfry was a big hit at conference. I attached some pictures of the snuggling that went on haha.

-Also wedding in the zen garden at the Buddhist temple we were SOAKED in sweat. Bahnka (our favorite nun) went and got us Lemonade. It is SO good. We named it "Buddah's Tears". Don't worry I don't think Bahnka heard us haha. But it is amazing. It is like Hot Dog on a Stick Lemonade on steroids. SO good. 

-I saw a cat laying in the gutter and pulled over, fearing that it had been hit by a car, it was SO cute. His name was Tipsy! :) We got some pictures with him. #catwhisperer

CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS

I was struck with the amount of love and compassion that was emphasized during Elder Hollands talk. My favorite part was when he admitted that He as an apostle of Jesus Christ. He stated "I don't know the answers to everything, but I know that God knows. Ask Him."

That was one theme of the meeting that I saw through out the entire conference. Uchtdorf said it best- "If you have spiritual questions, seek spiritual answers."

-Need Hope? ACT in faith towards the Savior. I tell this to my investigators and Less-Actives ALL the time. "Faith is stepping into the darkness, knowing you will be given solid ground, or wings to fly." 

-EVERYONE needs a testimony of Joseph Smith and if you don't have one,  get one.

- Marriage/ dating advice?- Elder Gavarret said (about his wife), "I always knew it would be easier to follow the Savior with her by my side." 

I loved the colorful choir. They were beautiful. But I remember being a little disappointed and wishing that they could be as powerful and put together as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But as they sang the closing hymn "Abide With Me; 'Tis Eventide" the spirit whispered to me, "To Heavenly Father, this awkward funny looking choir is JUST as beautiful, and just as special as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir." I couldn't hold back the tears. 

It was the same spirit I feel when I tell people that God hears every single prayer they offer, no matter how awkward or how short. He hears every word. It was a powerful lesson. 

-We got to watch conference with Sister Hail she is totally inactive. She was baptized in 1969 and she had never watched conference. She didn't even know what it was! It was so cool that we got to watch it with her. She loved it and the spirit was so strong in her little apartment. She was crocheting while we listened to it. I am pretty sure I saw a few tears well up in her eyes :) 


Church is true! :)

xoxoxoxo

-Sister King

Belfry and I ready to hear words from heaven.

Elder Barney got some snuggles.

Tipsy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment