Contributors

Monday, July 15, 2013

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS


Well everyones prayers worked! The water is fixed! Whew! That was bad there for a few days but we made it through! Texas just keeps getting better every single day. It is amazing! What happened this week... ummmmmm...... first of all! WE GET FACEBOOK AS MISSIONARIES SAY WHAAAA?! So cool.

EXCHANGES

Well I am finally starting to feel like my true self! These first few weeks in Texas have been super bizarre and I haven't really felt confident in following the spirit or suggesting things because I had ZERO idea of what I was doing but that all changed this week. Since Sister Folsom is the Sister Training Leader for the Zone she goes once a week and we do exchanges. I was way nervous at first because we had NOTHING in our planners for ALL afternoon and I had no idea what I was going to take Sister Huber to visit because we were trying to save miles. I called like 5 members to see if they could take us out and none of them could. I prayed and prayed that night that Sister Huber and I would be able to figure out where to go and how we were going to get there. We woke up on Wednesday morning and we had a voicemail from Sister Ruth I almost cried listening to her sweet sweet message, she said that she had gotten our message and would be more than happy to take us out and visit people! Sister Ruth has the sweetest accent I have ever heard. I can't even describe it. Sister Ruth is like Skeeter from the Help in 60 years. She is such a sweetheart. So we went around visiting less-actives in the ward. We got to one trailer and knocked on the door and got the door slammed right in our face, Sister Ruth was taken back by it and I just grabbed her hand and said, "It wouldn't be missionary work without rejection, now would it?" She was so sweet. She told us all about her love story with her husband and it sounded like something from a Frank Sinatra song.

BLACK HAWK DOWN

Somehow all of our funny stories involve having to go to the bathroom.... we were on our way home from a lesson and both had to go to the bathroom like WAY bad. I am telling you its because we drink like 12 water bottles a day. I kid you not. Anyway...all of the sudden, traffic comes to a complete stop. And there are like 9 cop cars and ambulances everywhere blocking this entire intersection... we were like "What the heckkk is going on?!" THEN a helicopter lands in the middle of the intersection. NBD. It's fine... like what? We were so confused as to what was happening. It was bizarre I felt like I was in a movie. We call our district leaders to laugh about black hawk coming down right in front of us and then we realize that:

1.) we aren't going to make it home by 9:30.

2.) this is the only road that leads to our house unless we want to take a 50 mile detour (no thank you.)

3.) we REALLY need to find a bathroom

4.) our gas light has been on all day.

It is was a pretty great situation. Oh man. We just cranked the music and waited. We thought about tracting along the street and talking to everyone waiting in the traffic... but then we realized that everyone was going to be just as irritated as we were and so that would not end well...  We ended up waiting for 45 minutes. We finally get to a gas station and we are so tired that we put our credit card up the place where your receipt comes out.... oh man. We just had to laugh. The lady inside was nice about it but it was a very long day. Then we came home and our water was out again. We laughed even harder because we still hadn't gone to the bathroom... I tell ya. God has a sense of humor. That he does.

THE BEST TIP I HAVE EVER LEFT

Sister Huber and I were so hungry after exchanges that we went to Chile's and had lunch. I felt like I needed to leave our waitress a mormon.org card with the check but when I reached into my purse I saw that I had a book of mormon so I grabbed it and we left her a note! I attached a picture of it! Who knows if she will read it but maybe she will put it on her bookshelf and then forget about it and when she is prepared she will look at it and think, "hmmm... maybe I should give this book a try?" Or maybe she will give it away to a used book store and someone else will pick it up who knows! PLANT THE SEED!

SECOND-HAND SMOKE SALVATION

Sister Huber and I decided to tract a bit before our dinner appointment so we started walking and we knocked at this really creepy looking house. Sometimes you knock on the door and you secretly don't want them to answer... Yeah this was that house. We left a card on the door and then kept walking. A few seconds later as we were walking down the driveway, a guy yelled, "can I help you with something?" I turned around and said, "Yeah we are missionaries and just wanted to share a message with you!" he said, "okay give me a second..." We waited for a minute and then Kelly came out with his best friend Stewart. They both lit up cigarettes as we introduced ourselves. Stewart was wearing one of the most obscene t-shirts I have ever seen. But as missionaries we both looked past it and viewed them as god does. As his children, children that are lost from the path and need us to help them! We talked to them about god and if they were religious, they both kinda shrugged and said, "uh not really... we don't think about that kind of stuff." I said, "well haven't you ever wondered where you came from, why you are here, and where you are going?"  Stewart looked at me and as he blew smoke in my face said, "Okay fine. Then where did we come from?" Sister Huber and I started to teach them the watered down version on the plan of salvation and ended up giving Kelly and his girlfriend a Book of Mormon! We have a return appointment tomorrow so we will see how it goes!

TRACTINGX6

We switched back to our companionships later and when Sister Folsom got into the truck I just started laughing my butt off. She was DRENCHED. The sister she did exchanges with made them tract for like 7 straight hours in the texas heat, they didn't have dinner even after a member offered to feed them and then they got rained on. She was such a wreck and she smelled SO bad. It was hilarious. We had an appointment with Kimber that we were really excited about and we were going to teach her and her boyfriend about the restoration. We got there and she wasn't there... It had been a very long day with lots of miracles but also lots of rejection. So we went home at like 8 and watched 17 miracles with Sister G. OKAY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE YOU NEED TO WATCH IT! MOM MAKE THE WHOLE FAMILY WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SOOOO GOOD.  Annnnnd wee granny is in it!

THE CATS ARE THE PROBLEM

The Elders in our ward are almost ready to baptize this investigator named dash. The problem is that he lives in a trailer with 50 cats. YES. 50 CATS. His wife moved out because he chose the cats over her. He will only get baptized if his wife is there by his side to support him! Sister Folsom and i went to visit his wife and she just about broke my heart. She started crying and said, "I still love him so so much but he chose the cats over me... who would do that?" We are trying to help him with it but he views them as his children and he won't get rid of them unless he knows they will have a good home. I think the elders are going to try and put them up for sale on craigs list for like 10 dollars each and then when people come to get them they will just give them away for free. I have no idea... he spends all his money for his medications on cat food and cat litter. None of his children talk to him because of the cats...he is just depressed about it but its because of the cats! It is a big problem...


THE SUIT

So at the MTC there is a box that missionaries can but extra clothes or books or anything that they dont want in. Its right by the luggage scale so like if your bag is too heavy people just take stuff out and put it in the give away box. Well Elder Oleson found this suit in the giveaway box the night before we were leaving to fly to Texas. He felt like he should take it for some reason even though it wasn't even close to being his size, but he couldn't let a good suit go to waste so he put it in his bag. When Elder Oleson and Elder Larsen started teaching Dash they invited him to church and he said that he didn't have any church clothes. They told Dash that they would try and find some clothes for him. When they got home that night Elder Oleson remembered the suit and pulled it out. It was DASHES SIZE!! So they wrapped it up and gave it to Dash for fathers day! How awesome is that?! God works in such crazy ways. Everything happens for a reason. The elder at the MTC with the heavy bag? He could have taken other stuff out but why did he choose a perfectly good suit!? Why did Elder Oleson pick up a suit that would be WAY too small for him? BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO TEACH DASH! Oh man... SUCH a miracle. It is this kind of stuff that makes me so excited about missionary work.  

Love you all!

-Sister King

ps. remind me to never mention my political stance EVER again as long as I reside here in Texas. God bless the democrats!







No comments:

Post a Comment